Thanks for clicking the “Learn More” button on my Facebook page. I am a full-time high school ELA teacher in Southern California. And I am a part-time writer, though I am expanding that role more and more.
I have started the website makethemmasterit.com to build a community of teachers who are looking for ways to gain perspective on student learning and find practical help to everyday challenges in delivering effective instruction in the classroom. The core belief that drives the content at this site is that students need to shoulder more of the responsibility for their learning than has been asked of them in recent years.
MY TOP POSTS
If you are new to my site, start with the three most popular posts.
- Getting Students Beyond Superficial Revision
- Revise at a Deeper Level
- 5 Ways to Nudge Students to Engage with Outside Reading
MY UPCOMING BOOK
I am finishing up my first book titled Make Them Process It: A Teacher’s Guide to Uncovering New Value in the Writer’s Notebook. In the book I give a practical how-to guide that offers solutions to common struggles in delivering effective writing instruction in the classroom. Struggles that include:
- Planning how frequently students engage in writing
- Equipping students to generate their own topics for writing
- Developing student appreciation for the importance of revision
- Providing techniques that help students practice revising and editing
- Building skill in holding mature conversations about writing with peers
- Having students use metacognition to evaluate the effectiveness of their revisions
- Integrating craft and grammar lessons into the revision process
I look forward to interacting with you here at makethemmasterit.com and on Facebook!
Are you ready to start getting more from your students? Leave a comment below.