Let me introduce you to your step-by-step guide to get your students to write more while you grade less.
Founded on the Writer’s Notebook practice introduced in Kelly Gallagher’s Teaching Adolescent Writers and Aimee Buckner’s Notebook Know How, and drawing on over decade of teaching experience, I present a convenient way to set up and run the Writer’s Notebook in the secondary classroom.
To start, you will find tips about how to:
- Prompt student writing,
- Coach students to generate their own topics, and
- Create ways to keep writing fresh for the entire school year.
But more than just providing a teacher’s guide for prompting students to fill a notebook with first-draft writing, you will walk through a step-by-step guide to help students:
- Plan for revision,
- Compose markedly improved second drafts,
- Host conversations about their improved writing,
- Add style to their writing through grammar instruction, and
- Master the mental moves necessary to produce better drafts.
Out of Jeffery’s failures and successes over the past 13 years, he has put together a straightforward, “no nonsense” approach to teaching writing with The Writer’s Notebook.